HALF OF AMATEUR(DOT)ROCKS
Jose Bessega, half of AMATEUR(DOT)ROCKS, is an Argentinian creative art director and designer, currently based in Berlin. Since 2013, he has worked and lived in different places around Latin America, Europe, and the USA, which allowed him to develop a global, diverse and inclusive perspective that is reflected through his projects. Working with both independent studios and established agencies like McCann London, Mother London, TBWA/Neboko, and 72andSunny Amsterdam, he built a reputation for a highly conceptual and non-traditional creative approach, culturally relevant ideas, obsession for craft and details, along with an extraordinary ability to translate strategic thinking into bold and provocative designs. Typography is at the heart of his work whether for small cultural projects or branding and design systems for well known brands such as Adidas, Chivas Regal, Audi, Nike, Samsung, and Netflix. His work has been recognized internationally by the New York Type Directors Club (TDC), Tokyo Type Directors Club, the Latin American Design Awards (LAD), and the Art Directors Club of The Netherlands (ADCN) and featured by international press such as It’s Nice That, Computer Arts and AIGA. He has been invited to exhibit and talk about his work in Tokyo, Lima, Manchester, Vienna, Hamburg, Munich, Zurich, and the prestigious Bauhaus University in Weimar.
- AMATEUR(DOT)ROCKS, Global, 2016 - present. Creative Director.
- Klarna, New York, 2022. Freelance creative / art director.
- McCann, London, 2021. Freelance creative / art director.
- SantosDilone, New York, 2021. Freelance art director & designer.
- DieZwei, Nuremberg, 2021. Freelance art director & designer.
- TBWA\Neboko, Amsterdam, 2020. Freelance art director & designer.
- HALAL, Amsterdam, 2020. Freelance art director & designer.
- Mother, London, 2020. Freelance art director & designer.
- 180, Amsterdam, 2020. Freelance art director & designer.
- 72andSunny, Amsterdam, 2019. Freelance art director & designer.
- Studio Lore, Amsterdam, 2018-2019. Art director & designer.
- The Juju, Buenos Aires, 2014-2016. Art director & designer.
- Lisboa Estudio Creativo, Cordoba, 2013-2014. Co-founder, art director & designer.
- Latin American Design Awards 2021, Branding - Gold
- Tokyo Type Directors Club Annual Awards 2021, Prize Nominee Work
- CreativePool: Emerging Talent of the Year 2020, Shortlist
- TDC66, Type Directors Club 2020, Certificate of Typographic Excellence
- ADCN (Art Directors Club Netherlands) 2020, Craft & Art Direction - Bronze
- Latin American Design Awards 2018, Packaging - Finalist
- ADCN (Art Directors Club Netherlands) 2018, Craft & Art Direction - Finalist
- TDK Awards ’17 - The Design Kids, Winners
- Latin American Design Awards 2017, Posters - Gold
Selected Press and Interviews
- “Amateur(dot)rocks on the power of graphic design to incite political, social and cultural changes” It’s Nice That (UK), October 9, 2019
- “Branding that's literally so lit it's on fire” Creative Boom (UK), February 18, 2020
- “Daft studio name, very smart campaign for Adidas” Creative Boom (UK), April 8, 2019
- “Jose Bessega & Ivo Pallucchini” Muse by CLIO (US), May 15, 2020
- “A studio that helps clients think creatively also needs a good skin” TOPYS (China), April 30, 2019
- “TDK Awards ’17 Winners, AMATEUR(DOT)ROCKS” The Design Kids (Australia), April 30, 2018
- “The bold graphics of Amateur(dot)rocks” OSSO Magazine (Italy), October 4, 2017
- “Amateur(dot)rocks’ identity for Studio Lore is based around a phonetic alphabet-inspired typeface” The Brand Identity (UK), December 18, 2020
- “From Argentina, Amateur(dot)rocks, a nomad design duo who wanders around the world” Amix (Japan), October 17, 2020
- “Each of These Beers Come With a Unique Label To Match Their Personality”, The Dieline (US), September 21, 2017
- “adidas Decode Posters UB19” Ads of the World (US), April 28, 2019
- “9 design trends that defined the year of rebellion” Creative Bloq (UK), December 19, 2019
- “Festival Periferia by Amateur(dot)rocks” The Brand Identity (UK), February 15, 2019
- “Adidas posters picked up from the junk pile are quite advanced” TOPYS (China), April 30, 2019
- “Amateur(dot)rocks: Visual identity for Studio Lore” North East (Japan), October 28, 2019
- “Amateur(dot)rocks – Kerze, The Brewing Family” World Brand Design, October 11, 2017
- “Amateur(dot)rocks – Kerze, The Brewing Family” Packaging of the World, September 20, 2017
- “No. 157: a Magazine of Magazines, Daring Dystopian Comics, a New ravelogue from Louise Fili + more” AIGA Eye on Design (US), September 1, 2017
- “Monet Urban” Mindsparkle Mag (Germany), May 29, 2018
Talks, Exhibitions & Workshops
- TOKYO TDC Vol.32, The Best International Typography & Design, DNP Arts Communications, Japan, 2022
- Tokyo Type Directors Club 2021 - Exhibition, Ginza Graphic Gallery, Tokyo, Japan, April 01 - May 29, 2021
- Projektil Festival 2019 - Speaker & Workshop, Bauhaus University, Weimar, Germany, June 21 – June 23, 2019
- Latin American Design Festival 2018 - Speaker, Lima, Peru, March 10, 2018
- Moon Exhibition 2018 - Exhibition, Forward Festival, Vienna, Hamburg, Munich & Zurich, April – July, 2018
- Then There Was Us - Exhibition, Fred Aldous, Manchester, UK, June, 2018
- BranD No.55 — Designer vs Foreign Typography, SendPoints, China, 2021
- The 41th Annual of The Type Directors Club-The World’s Best Typography, Verlag Hermann Schmidt, Germany, 2021
- Dot Line Shape - The Basic Elements of Design and Illustration, Victionary, Hong Kong, 2020
- Optimum Type - Custom Typography Design & Application, Sandu, China, 2020
- Computer Arts Issue 299, Future Publishing Ltd, UK, 2019
- Indie Type — Typeface and creative font application, Sandu, China, 2019
- Brewed For Taste — Beer Labels Around The World, SendPoints, China, 2019
- BranD No.37 — Just My Type, SendPoints, China, 2018
- Remarkable Graphic Styles — Rough, SendPoints, China, 2018
- Music & Design — Inspire意念圖誌, China, 2018
- Latin American Awards Book 2016, Lima, Perú, 2016
- It’s My Type, SendPoints, China, 2016
- Enjoy Your Stay - Branding for hospitality, SendPoints, China, 2016
- adidas Originals
- Chivas Regal
- Fever Tree
- Industry Of All Nations
- Lynk & Co